Saturday, April 28, 2007

Friend or Acquaintance?

Here is the question of the day!!! If your a christian,and you have a really close friend that you think is a christian,but it turns out that the friend you have says that he was never really a christian at all,can you continue to keep that person as a friend or does that person now have to become an acquaintance? In the bible it says that we need to flee from temptation and that unchristian friends shouldn't have a big influence on our lives. The reason is because if all of our friends are not Christians they can,without even realizing it,pull us down weather they mean to or not. This is something that I am struggling with very much!! I have a really close friend that I thought was a christian but it turned out that my friend wasn't. Like I said I am struggling with it a lot and I really would appreciate any advice you have to offer!!!

3 comments:

Shawn Powers said...

That really is a tough one to deal with. While you are wise to reevaluate the friendship, I think the most important thing to realize is that your role in the friendship has changed. No longer is this a fellow brother/sister in Christ, but now a soul that desperately needs Him.

I agree that some distance might be wise. You also have a unique closeness to this individual that might allow Christ to show through you in a significant way.

Lastly, I'll say that you need not put the burden on yourself to "save" him/her. You can lead a horse to water, but not make him drink. Live for Christ. Be a friend on a mission -- to show your friend his/her need for Christ. But always remember that it's not your job to do the saving. It has to be a relationship between God and man, and it has to be a personal decision. As a youth leader, I'll tell you that breaks my heart over and over. I see so many young people I care deeply about that never see their need for Him. Pray for your friend. Let God work through you, but keep yourself holy.

Love you man.

-Shawn

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for the comment it really means a lot to me. Again thanx!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Shawn. Personally, I see this sometimes, and I really - dare I say - hate it.

But let me ask you something. What's your approach to this? You know what God says about this and you know what you've been taught. So what's your verdict?

I hope that you'll find a solution to your struggle. Let God shine in you, 'cause you're His witness.

<>< Kari